Wednesday, February 3, 2010

First assignment: Why I chose the degree program I am in?

Hello all my fellow follower.

As you probably figured out so far, I am not one of the regular bloggers. However, I am very excited to try this “new” thing. So let me first introduce my self: I am husband to a wonderful supportive wife of 14 years. We together have two children, which I am very proud of it. As I look back at my life on my milestone, they are the best thing that ever happened to me. My son Sasha is 12 y.o., and he is great honor student at middle school. My daughter Ana is 4 y.o. and she cannot wait to start with her school next fall. So why am I writing all of this when assignment is to write about; why I chose the degree program I am in? Simply, because my kids are the reason that I am going back to school.

I am the holder of bachelor degree in Graphic Design from Europe. As many of you don’t know, but degrees from foreign countries are not really good selling value in the USA. With that degree, I was able to work only as a helping hand to the other designers in stage and scenic industry. So, finally I decide to open my own company for graphic design and signs. Well, everything was great, except I was not with my family. Second bad thing happened when the economy made sharp turn on me, so I was forced to sell my company. After lot of discussions and thoughts, I decide to try to study something which will give me a job from 8-5 and at least some stability. Oh, I did forget to mention that I studied economy in my old country, but never finished it. Well, one thing after another, and choice of accounting was made.

Why do I think accounting is good to study? Every company, profit or non-for-profit, need someone to take care of their accountability. There is a lot opportunities to get hired. I love the numbers, and in particular I enjoy exploring all angels of financial positions, either mine or of my employer. Stability of office work is also attractive in this stage of my life when I want to enjoy spending some quality time with my family. And to be honest, why I chose accounting degree over some other degree programs? I did research before I signed in for classes, and it showed that average pay for mid career accounting professional is earning good money. Also there are a lot of opportunities to grow, especially if you are willing to learn more. As a CPA, the sky is a limit.

1 comment:

  1. Pete:

    You seem both eloquent and enthusiastic in this post. I am delighted to have you in the class, and look forward to working with you over the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete